For Your Eyes Only

Monday, November 9, 2009

Mariah Carey-oke Grand Finals I Want to Know What Love Is




I never expected there's a WOW Magic Sing Mariah Carey-Oke Singing Contest. Locally, we have Regine Velasquez, Willie Revillame and Charice Pempengco as the major endorsers. MCA Music is responsible for this collaboration and Odyssey.



The main goal was to promote Mariah's Memoirs of An Imperfect Angel album. There were 20 semi-finalists who auditioned in various Odyssey branches and got a score of 95 and above using WOW Magic Sing. I enjoyed watching this contest since it's open to all age groups and sexual preferences. I am used to seeing a young boy belting a Mariah song with his parents' hope of not seeing his precious son joining a beauty contest in his adult years. Of course, the jolly Mariah Carey wannabees never failed to amuse me

Since Mariah is known for her belting prowess I've expected some Birit Babies (kids with belting power) and adult belters. But I never expected a lesbo Mariah fan. I am not stereo-typing people, but maybe, I just got so used to seeing and hearing Aiza Seguerra and the Indigo girls' acoustic type of music. Ooops! How can I forget Heart's Ann Wilson (a belter-spared) who guested in the L Word.

Due to time constraints, the semi-finalists had to sing a portion of Mariah's I Want to Know What Love Is which I found very challenging since the high notes are usually in the end part of the song. It's only the top 3 finalists who got to sing the song compeletely. Here are the videos.




Top 3 Performances:

Nina Gonzalgo





Jennifer Murillo





Katrina Velarde




3 comments:

Unknown said...

who won?

i agree with. a bit weird to see a dyke singing a mariah song...

hahahahahaha!

magic said...

I agree. Reminded me of Mariah's performance in Japan with his MALE back up singers/dancers singing Touch My Body. It's funny but a definitely a lil weird.

Wow Magic Sing said...

Oh' what a cool activity is that. Wish I was also there to personally see it. Anyway, I enjoyed reading your post. It makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing!


-megan-